Friday, February 26, 2010

Artisan Bread Recipe

I posted a picture of some Artisan Bread that I made a while ago. I was asked for the recipe, so here it is. . . I got the recipe from my sister, who has a book called something like; "Artisan Bread In Five Minutes a Day". If you want a more detailed recipe, purchase the book. :)

Okay, so here is my basic version:

3C. Water, luke warm

1 ½ T. yeast

1 ½ T. Kosher or lg. grain salt (table salt, use 1 T.)

6 ½ C. Unbleached white flour

corn meal (to set bread on to rise)

Mix yeast, salt, & water in large container (with lid). Add flour, and mix.
Let rise on counter for about 2 hours—till dough rises, then falls (or at least flattens). While dough is rising rest the lid on top of the container, do not snap lid on.
Place in fridge, let rest 5-6 hours (or over night).

The dough will last about two weeks in the fridge. When ready to bake a loaf, take about ¼ of the dough and form a loaf with a light dusting of flour on the outside. You do not need to knead this bread. You can if you feel you must, but you don't need to. (I am adding some dried tomatoes and fresh Rosemary to a couple of loaves--this is my favorite way to consume this bread).
Once your loaves are formed, place them on a mobile flat surface lined or covered with a generous layer of cornmeal. Let dough rest about 40 minutes. 20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit with a baking stone placed on center rack. Put an empty broiler tray on the bottom shelf while it preheats. Before placing bread in oven to bake, dust the top with flour then slice it with a knife. Slide bread onto stone then add 1 C. water to broiler pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
When the bread is done, it should look about like this. I made two loaves with tomatoes to show you the importance of keeping the dried tomatoes and herbs inside of the loaf. If you sprinkle them on the outside, they become ash-like. If some are exposed when you slice open the loaf, they are generally still okay and even yummy.
If you fold the tomato mixture into the loaf, instead of kneading it in, this is what your bread slices will look like. . . Yummy!
It took me a few days to find the time to sit down and finish this post, so I hope you enjoy this recipe! It is an easy and great way to add a fresh loaf of bread to any meal.

2 comments:

  1. I did weasel the recipe PDF out of your sister, but I am still so impressed with the photos of your bread, Tigs!

    I did think I checked here on a regular basis (including over the weekend) and hadn't seen any new blogs I hadn't read. Did you sneak up on me???

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it really just took me all weekend to write it. That is kind of lame, but last weekend was crazy. Both my kids were asleep at the same time today for about half an hour, so I finished this post and put up todays also.

    ReplyDelete