Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bok Choy Chicken Soup

I ordered an "Asian Pack" of food last time I ordered a Bountiful Basket. It came with a huge head of Bok Choy. I have never had Bok Choy in my life, neither had my husband, so I searched out a recipe. The recipe below is what I found at chinesefood.about.com. (I made modifications and they are in italics).

Bok Choy Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups chicken broth --I did four, I like to have extra broth.
  • 10 leaves bok choy, thinly sliced --I only added about 7, the stalks I had were HUGE!
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil --I didn't have any of this, so I just left it out. I think it would be even yummier with this!
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled, chopped
  • 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cubed
  • 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
  • 1 cup carrots, bias sliced.

Preparation:

Place oil in medium sauce pan, when hot, add garlic. Cook garlic for about 1 minute, then add the chicken. Cook chicken until brown and almost cooked through. Add chicken broth and Bring the chicken broth to boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the seasonings (the red pepper flakes, soy sauce, Asian sesame oil), and the chopped garlic(we already added the garlic).

Add the carrots and cook for about 5 minutes, then

Add the bok choy. Simmer for up to 10 minutes, until the bok choy leaves turn dark green and are wilted and tender. Serves 4 to 5.


If you try it, hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Bok choy soup? That's looking good, Tiggs!

    If you have any leftover bok choy, you might also try lightly sauteeing it (just a teensy bit of oil)and then adding a tablespoon or two of Hoisin sauce. (Hoisin is one of 2 basic "gotta haves" for an Asian cupboard. The other is Asian sesame oil, which is used in tiny little amounts, almost the same as you use vanilla in cookies, except sesame oil in savory stir frys and Chinese chicken salad.)

    I love bok choy. Well... and you. :)

    ReplyDelete