Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hands

Before September 25, 2010, this is what my left hand looked like:
Wasn't it beautiful?!
After a split second with a table saw, a long ambulance ride, a life flight ride, several hours (21-22 hours) of surgery (including an emergency C-section), the safe arrival of our precious little girl, and a week in the hospital, I have this left:
It doesn't look that great right now, but it will. I am so lucky to still have my fingers. The first surgeon I saw in Southern Utah thought he could maybe save my ring finger, but my pointer and middle fingers were not salvageable (if he did the surgery). I ended up going to Salt Lake and Dr. Richard Fryer is my new hero! He worked all afternoon Saturday, all night to Sunday morning. I came out of surgery, he looked at my pointer finger, decided the color was not good, so he turned around and performed a few more hours of surgery to save my hand.
This whole experience has been really hard for me to endure, whenever I start to feel overwhelmed, I just look at this:
Eliza Kristine Nay
Born: September 26, 2010; 7:26 AM
7 lbs. 1 oz.
(yes, four weeks early)
Isn't she darling?! This is the first dress she has ever worn. She is almost three weeks old in this picture. She will be four weeks old tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Sara, Eliza is beautiful! Such a pretty baby! And I think your hand looks amazing - it's crazy what they can do. When will you get to start PT? Wishing you a super fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, you are a trooper. You have a perfect little girl and your left hand looks really good. I herd from Big mama what happen and I felt bad.hope you have a great recorvery and congrats on your little bundle of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Sara, your hand looks AMAZING!!! The power of prayer and techology!!! Be patient, we all know that you will and do push yourself. Just remember it's the Lord's will not Sara's at the speed of recovery. Be patient!!! Let others receive the blessings of serving you!!! And your baby doll is beautiful as well...Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayson had heard about your accident. It made me so scared for you... I'm so glad they were able to save your fingers! She is quite gorgeous! And I am not surprised at all that she was 7lbs at 4 weeks early... considering her brothers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so shocked!!! I actually thought that this was a Halloween spoof! I am so sorry that your hand is hurt, and with a newborn at the same time! But it sounds like an amazing story, when you (and probably Ryan since you probably can't do much typing) have some time, I want to hear more details, especially about the birth of your GIRL!!!!
    Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to see your hand, all in one piece and recovering so well. This post seems to be all about hands, as it's a particularly sweet shot of Ryan holding Eliza. She's about the same size as his hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been getting all my updates via Jen. I'm so glad the surgeon was able to save your hand! It's absolutely incredible!! I'm so sorry about what you've had to go through. I am glad that Eliza was far enough along to be born safely. She's beautiful! I've got something I'm going to send for her soon. Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah,
    I'm not sure if you know me but I'm one of Ryan's many cousins from the Stratton side.
    How blessed you are! You are amazing and strong. I know Heavenly Father will continue to bless you.
    I've been crying as I have read your blog, then as I scolled down and saw that you named you precious baby Eliza Kristine, I lost it.
    Kristy was one of my dear friends and your sweet girl is so lucky to be named after such a great girl!
    We will continue to keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete